planning in the
Determination of optimal
production quantities on the basis of past values.
Extensive interfaces to the existing
Creation of mathematically optimal plans taking into account all cross-dependencies.
Calculation and presentation of alternative courses of action (what-if analyses).
Optimization of a complex network with many cross-dependencies based on state-of-the-art mathematical models.
OPTANO GmbH has successfully developed and introduced a versatile network planning and optimization system for the BMW Group. Following an initial conception phase (OR Analysis) and the modeling of the IT system (OR Model), the software was able to be implemented precisely to specifications (OR System).
The integral conception made it possible to import essential planning steps into the software and thus optimally support the planning process. Simultaneously, optimal integration of this highly complex software into the existing IT-landscape was ensured.
The project was concluded successfully in close collaboration with the client and all quality standards were met.
Planning a network is a highly complex task involving a wide range of issues. Efficient algorithms are necessary in order to evaluate information from several hundred thousand datasets precisely and ,above all, rapidly.
Furthermore, it was also important to combine the requirements of the client’s various planning areas and to develop a solution which would cater to everybody’s needs.
OPTANO, in close collaboration with the BMW Group project managers, managed the specification process, the development of the IT solution and monitored the technical support of the software installation. Our OR specialists were responsible for:
- conducting an in-depth analysis of the actual situation as well as the available data sources and the desired costs
- planning the “target” process
- visualizing planning issues in mathematical models
- creating the software architecture
- implementing the features
- managing the agile development process
- compiling software
- documentation for users and IT experts
The software was developed in accordance with the client’s requirements and embedded modern optimization and data processing algorithms. The data is stored on a highly efficient database. During implementation the choice of efficient components and efficiency were the main priority:
- The storage of very extensive timeline data
- The creation of components to display several million datafields in the GUI
- The development of an efficient model generator to create variables and restrictions of the optimization model
In order to optimize the planning situation, OPTANO introduced a versatile planning and optimization system. This encompasses, among others, the following features:
- A review of the demand data
- Visualization of the entire production network and markets
- Capacity management and capacity restriction plannning
- Determining optimal production quantities
- Determining flexibility and the calculation of alternative strategies (what-if analyses)
- Evaluations based on KPIs and detailed reports
- Data preparation and its transfer to future IT-systems
The OPTANO solution is now deployed as a leading system in network planning
The project achieved the following:
- Standardizing differing requirements in various planning areas of the Group and transferring them to a standard mathematical model
- The integration of processes for data preparation, optimization/planning and data transmission in a software
- Determining flexibility and alternative strategies in a random number of complex network configurations
How can we help you?
We are always available to answer your questions!
Please contact our Business Development Manager Denise Lelle.
Business Development Manager
Denise can be reached by phone, email or on LinkedIn – or simply make an appointment with her directly using the calender linked above.
You are also welcome to use our contact form. We will then get back to you as soon as possible!
We look forward to talking to you!