at IVG Caverns
STORAG ETZEL GmbH plans and manages the construction of underground caverns for the storage of gas and oil reserves in the North German town of Etzel. Constructing a cavern is a complex and time-consuming process which generally takes 3-4 years. After construction has been planned, a drilling site is erected from where several locations can be drilled into. By flushing the salt stored in the salt domes with salt water from the North Sea (solution mining), a cavern is formed which, upon completion, can be used to store natural gas and oil. When the cavern has been created, the technical equipment is then installed so that the gas first- fill can be performed.
Cost reduction thanks to forward-looking and efficient resource scheduling.
Compliance with all technical and legal rules.
Risk management through timely what-if analyses.
Realization of consistent data management and central reporting.
Intelligent site planning taking into account all cross-dependencies with mathematical optimization.
OPTANO has successfully developed a modular system for IT-based scenario project flow planning and also further planning and evaluation possibilities for Storag Etzel GmbH. After the project’s successful initiation, planning was supported by means of system development based on the OPTANO Platform . Thanks to its modular structure, further planning elements could be completed and introduced gradually. Because planners and management were involved in the project from the early stages, a system could be created which is tailored to individual needs and was integrated as a central planning system into the existing IT landscape. The project was implemented by OPTANO experts in close collaboration with the client. It was on-time and on-budget and met all quality requirements.
Planning and managing the construction of a cavern is a complex and challenging task as it is subject to a number of input parameters, cross-dependencies and restrictions. Planning had been done manually until the OPTANO solution was implemented.
OPTANO has designed, developed and implemented a modular planning and optimization system based on the OPTANO Platform. The modules were customized to meet the individual requirements of the relevant experts and include, among others:
- A planning and optimization system to draft strategic production plans taking into account technical restrictions, official regulations and multi-project planning (time scheduling/scheduling for cavern production)
- The evaluation and optimization of energy costs involved in production planning
- Master data management and integration into the existing IT architecture
- Reporting and business intelligence components to process data for the management
- Planning surveying and maintenance activities (including budget planning)
The OPTANO solution integrates seamlessly into the existing IT landscape and is a leading system for managing technical data. In addition, various expert tools were linked up to it which meant that a central link between all IT systems could be set up for the first time.
The most significant results of the project were:
- Cost reduction by means of efficient resource planning
- Compliance with all technical and legal requirements involved in planning cavern construction
- Implementing a technical and fiscal operating tool for strategic production planning
- Risk management by means of early what-if analyses
- Compliance with certification requirements (quality and energy management)
- Implementing effective data management and a central reporting system
how can we help you?
We are happy to answer any of your questions, send you information or demonstrate OPTANO to you in person. Contact us today!